Boise State 33, Virginia Tech 30

I just finished watching my recording of the game. Wow, what a spectacular contest. My prediction was 33-31 VT and I was very close on the score but picked the wrong team. I suggested that VT would go up early by a couple scores, BSU would come back and take a lead in the middle, and it would come down to the wire with Tech prevailing. And actually, the opposite happened. BSU got up early, Tech took the lead at the end, and BSU ended up prevailing. I had no doubt though that Boise could win the game, I just had this feeling that VT would pull it out and they almost did. I was surprised that Boise pretty much shut down VT RB Ryan Williams; I thought he was going to be a huge factor in the outcome. I was equally surprised at Tyrod Taylor's poise and passing ability, he had a very good game. But what about Kellen Moore? What a QB. Calm under fire and he can put the ball almost perfectly on taget. He didn't have many errant throws.

On VT's last drive, I'm not sure why they seemed to go for the long ball again and again. They started on their own 35 yard line and needed only 30 yards or so to get into FG range to tie it and send it to OT. They had almost a minute to work with and I think two timeouts. Seems like they could have started with shorter throws underneath to get the drive started and create some momentum, much like Boise did on its game-winning drive.

Speaking of Boise's last drive, I would say the late hit was a questionable call because Austin Pettis kept going as if he was still in bounds and since he had barely stepped out, I give Bruce Taylor leeway there and I don't think he should have been flagged. I don't, however, believe the call necessarily hurt the Hokies because they were having a difficult time defending the Broncos' hurry-up and once Boise got closer to the goal line, they could take more time and also, VT could then pack its defense in more tightly. So while I disagree with that particular call, I don't think it was a huge factor in Boise's win. If anything, it allowed Boise to score more quickly and thus give the Hokies more time to score but they did not take advantage of the opportunity.

A well-officiated game overall, I don't think either team can complain. VT fans should certainly not blame the refs for the loss. The refs called 11 penalties on the Broncos and they will need to clean that part of their game up. The Hokies had a chance in the end to wrap it up on offense or defense and just could not quite do it.

Great game and it lived up to all the hype. Should be a fun year watching Boise try to make it to the national championship game.

Comments