Big weekend of football

Last night's Texas A&M-Oklahoma State game may have set the stage for what could be a wild weekend of college football. There are several marquee matchups:

COLLEGE
Noon
Florida State at Virginia
Ok, this probably doesn't register on the national landscape, but it's a big game for Virginia. I'm actually going to this game, so why did it have to be Virginia's first noon game of the year? Anyway, this game could really set the stage for UVA's season. Win this, and I think a division title is a possibility, I really do. It isn't far-fetched--Virginia has been in the hunt for the Coastal title each of the past three seasons and last year it went 3-9 so anything is possible (the Cavaliers were 2-0 in the ACC last year at one point). If Virginia loses, it could mean we end up finishing with the 4-5 wins people are expecting us to record. (although I think 3 is actually the majority prediction). Of course, it depends on how we lose if we do. If we play well and come up short, I think we have been underrated and a bowl is still possible. If we lose by a lot, we lose some of the momentum we have built up here in the early going and I think a bowl becomes more of a distant possibility.
The thing about this game is anything can happen. No one really knows what to expect. Virginia is 2-1, but the two wins came over FCS schools. The Cavaliers hung with USC in LA, but how good are the Trojans? They are 4-0, but haven't really played anyone of note yet. I can see UVA beating FSU by a lot, I can see a close game with either team winning, and I can see FSU beating UVA by a lot. Nothing is out of the realm of possibility. Florida State has been more tested in its schedule but has not played any heavyweights. The Seminoles looked extremely good against FCS school Samford in the season opener. Then they got demolished by an Oklahoma team that has been unimpressive (although it is still undefeated). The last two weeks, FSU has outscored BYU and Wake Forest 65-10. The Seminoles offense and defense has been hitting on all cylinders except for that strange game against the Sooners. Their defense is first in the nation with 19 sacks. Virginia has risen into the top 5 in the ACC in passing but will really be tested this weekend. If the Cavaliers had gotten beat by a few scores by USC, I think this pick would be a no-brainer. But I don't know if FSU is as good as, better than, or worse than USC. UVA almost won that game at USC. This game is at home, and Scott should be rocking pretty good with an excited fanbase. I just get this feeling though that the Hoos are not quite ready to beat a team of FSU's caliber (I'm hoping though that the Seminoles are not much better than they have been the past few seasons). I hope I'm wrong, but I think FSU will win the game but UVA will be oh-so-close to getting the victory. 24-17

3:30
No. 21 Texas-No. 8 Oklahoma Red River Rivalry in Dallas
Normally, this is the most anticipated game of the weekend on which it falls--not so this weekend. Oklahoma is undefeated but not looking top-tier in quality and Texas got crushed by UCLA last weekend. The Sooners have beaten Air Force and Cincinnati by a combined five points the last two weeks. Oklahoma has had a difficult time getting by Texas the last few seasons, but I like the Sooners in this one, 31-27.

No. 11 Wisconsin at No. 24 Micigan State
You would think Iowa-Penn State would be the best Big 10 matchup this weekend. Both of those teams have one loss though. This contest pits two undefeated teams. The Spartans are off to their best start since, well, I can't really recall when MSU has been playing this well. The Badgers often find themselves in this position but they don't normally put up 70 points on a team, which is what they did last Saturday against Austin Peay. Outside of last week's wins for both of these teams--Wisconsin 70-3 over AP and MSU 45-7 over Northern Colorado--neither one has been crushing opponents. Two weeks ago, MSU slipped by Notre Dame on a fake field goal and Wisconsin almost got beat by Arizona State. The Badgers are a slight two-point favorite in this game, but I'm going to go with the underdog home team as Sparty continues a surprising run. 28-27.

Virginia Tech at No. 23 N.C. State
I picked the Wolfpack to lose to GT last week and after they won, I decided I wouldn't pick against them anymore. But then I saw they were playing a Hokie team that is finding its stride this week. If VT wins this game, Miami may be the only team standing in its way to another ACC title game appearance. The Hokies can assert their ACC dominance with this win despite losing to Boise and JMU to open the season. VT's strenghening defense vs. Russell Wilson and the Wolfpack offense. Who wins? I like N.C. State at home slightly, 27-24.

8:00
No. 7 Florida at No. 1 Alabama
The Gators got their offense on track against Kentucky last week and Alabama got a scare from Arkansas. I think lots of people are seeing upset here but I'm not buying it. Nick Saban will have whipped the Tide into shape after last week's performance. At home, Florida wins or loses by a little. It's at Alabama though, so I like the Tide to win 31-24.

No. 9 Stanford at No. 4 Oregon
Perhaps the two main contenders for a PAC-10 title square off in the Autzen Zoo (although Arizona may have something to say about that). I think this game is a toss up. Neither team has played a great schedule yet. The Cardinal crushed Notre Dame and UCLA (when they looked bad) while Oregon easily defeated Tennessee and were somewhat tested by Arizona State last week. Stanford will slow down the Ducks offense but I don't think it will be quite enough. I think I'd like the Cardinal at home but the Zoo carries the Ducks over the top. 38-35.

No. 22 Penn State at No. 17 Iowa
This matchup has lost some luster after Penn State got shut down by Bama and Iowa was defeated by Arizona. The Nittany Lions have struggled recently against the Hawkeyes and I like Iowa at home in this one to continue the trend. 33-24.

Coming later: NFL picks

Comments