UVA gets a wake up call

Here's the kind of t-shirt I should be wearing after the UVA-FSU game: I went to Cville this weekend and all I got was a sunburn on my face.

Ok, it was cool to see some friends and just be back in Hooville. But the game was not pretty. UVA got wrecked by FSU. 34-14 doesn't tell the whole story. It wasn't even THAT close. It's back to the drawing board for Mike London and the boys. In the first half, Virginia couldn't do much of anything right on offense or defense. And the t-shirt I did get was the one they handed out for the "White Out." I guess the sun reflected off the shirt and into my face making it look like it does now.

I never did say UVA would win this game. But I gave the Hoos too much credit. I said they'd lose 24-17. So while I didn't go completely overboard, I was drinking the Kool-Aid somewhat. But even though I knew Virginia's only two wins came over FCS schools, I couldn't shake the way UVA hung with USC in the Coliseum. I figured they would have a fighter's chance against FSU. I didn't think FSU was that much better than USC, if it was better at all. But I think the Noles have shown that they are better than USC and the Trojans are showing themselves not to be an elite team in the country or the PAC-10.

I would have to say FSU is looking like one of the best teams in the ACC along with Miami and Virginia Tech. Yes, the same Hokies who lost to JMU. On Saturday, Miami and FSU face each other and VT plays Miami Nov. 20 so the ACC race will shake itself out eventually.Thankfully, UVA gets a break until Miami Oct. 30. Virginia gets GT on the road this weekend, then UNC and Eastern Michigan at home before the Hurricanes at home. Virginia could very well lose to both GT and UNC, but I don't think the Cavs will get demolished either.

I was drinking the Kool-Aid about UVA's fanbase as well. I predicted on this blog after the Richmond game that more than 54K would show up for the FSU game if Virginia played well against USC and then blew out VMI, both of which happened. I couldn't believe only 47K showed up for the game. It was very disappointing. I thought the game was pretty well hyped. It was London's ACC opener and a traditional power was on the schedule. The white out was a little weird but got me more excited. Noon games are never the best at getting butts in the seats, but that usually only causes students to arrive late. The non-student fan attendance was bad, too.

Obviously, we are a long ways off as both a team and a fanbase from where we need to be.That's ok though. No one expected London and the Hoos to beat FSU anyway. So far, 2-2 is exactly what I expected before the season started. The FSU game is really the first time UVA performed worse than I expected it to perform. Now the schedule gets interesting. I'm not sure what to expect against GT. I thought they were an elite ACC team but N.C. State handled them and they just snuck by Wake Forest, which has probably only looked better than Duke in the ACC. As a side note, Wake was shut out by FSU (31-0 I believe) and then played GT Saturday so Wake and UVA will both have played these two teams back-to-back. Hopefully the Hoos can get the win the Demon Deacons almost secured. Oh, and let's not forget about Al Groh being on the other sideline. That makes this game all the more fascinating.

There have been rumblings that Marc Verica needs to be benched. I think sitting him right now would be too quick of a trigger. The guy had some of his best games ever during September. Yes, I know the competition level was down for two of those games but still, you don't bench a guy that fast after he's been playing that well. He needs a chance to rebound.

Comments

  1. I must confess I was expecting a more competitive game against FSU. I can't believe how different the Cavs looked against FSU. They looked flat and not up for the game. They looked much more fired up against USC. The Cavs need to regroup this week and give London his first ACC win. Especially since Al Groh is across the way.
    Even though the crowd was not what we think it should be, I think the white out looked somewhat impressive.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment