World Series prediction

RANDOM THOUGHTS
-MLB probably didn't get the ratings World Series they wanted, but they got something fresh, that's for sure. Everyone expected the Phillies to match up with the Yankees in a repeat of last year's series. It would have been a clash of two heavyweights and people definitely would have tuned in. But this Texas-San Francisco series sounds new and hip. I think there are plenty of captivating storylines that will get people to watch these teams as well--Cliff Lee, Tim Lincecum, Josh Hamilton, Brian Wilson, Ron Washington's story of coming back from a drug conviction, the atmosphere surrounding playoff games by the bay in San Fran. Not to mention these games should be really close. I bet most, if not all, of the games will have final margins of no more than one or two, possibly three runs.
-Cliff Lee makes me want to give the edge to Texas. He really does. He's amazing. But the Giants figured out Roy Halladay so maybe they can figure out Lee enough to run him out of a game earlier than usual.
-This might not matter by this point, but the Giants have been in playoff mode for awhile now. During the last few games of the regular season, they had to beat the Padres just to get into the playoffs. So, I think that can work two ways. You can say the Giants are sharper and more seasoned than the Rangers up to this point, or they are maybe going to be more easily fatigued than the Rangers if the series goes six or seven games. I doubt that would play a role, though. There's been sufficient rest for both teams leading up to tonight's Game 1 and this collection of Giants is too young and loose to worry about getting tired.
-The fact that the NL won the All-Star game could really play a factor in the outcome of the series. The Giants have a special home field advantage. I haven't checked the stats, but I'm pretty sure they have a better home record in the playoffs than the Rangers do. Texas didn't even win a home playoff game until Game 2 of the ALCS. So, I think the Giants have the home edge, and they clinched the NLCS in Philly. And we've seen Texas is definitely vulnerable at home.
-The Giants give off this never-say-die aura. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's what the media fed us as San Fran was winning the NLCS. Maybe it's Brian Wilson's weird beard. It's something though. They just have that feel, to me, of a team that is about to win the World Series. They seem to have that attitude, that little extra umph. The Rangers aren't far behind, though. They are young, with a fun-loving, free-wheeling (deer antlers) attitude that is capable of providing an edge as you get to the World Series.
PREDICTION
I'm not confessing to be a baseball expert. I drew these thought mostly off the top of my head. I didn't check stats or anything. To me, though, the Giants get the slight advantage. It's just a gut feeling I have. The series really could go either way, though. I think it's going to be great. My dad is pulling for the Rangers, so he'll be disappointed in the prediction, but no doubt Texas can win it, too.
Giants in 7

Comments