Cavs shock Canes, Giants win first World Series since 1954

UVA
Virginia looked like a different team than most of the year Saturday, playing its best game and defeating No. 22 Miami 24-19. The game was actually a laugher through all but the fourth quarter when the Hurricanes made a furious comeback. I'm still watching the recording, so I'll comment some more after I finish but it was a great day and I went on and rushed the field with the rest of the students. I don't necessarily agree with the principle of rushing the field against a team in a bad conference barely in the top 25, but in this situation you just have to enjoy the moment, so that's what I did. And Mike London would certainly embrace it. It was as if the frustration of the nine (or 10?) game ACC losing streak and everything else just kind of boiled over on to the field during the rush. It meant a lot to London, the team, and the dedicated fans who were in the just under 40,000 in attendance. I had to soak in the moment because there have been so few positive moments for UVA football since after the four game winning streak of 2008.

GIANTS
Well, my prediction came true, just not in as many games as I thought. I had San Fran winning the title in seven, but it only took it five games to dispatch the Rangers, who scored just 12 runs in the series. The Giants' pitching was spectacular. And in the end, it looked like the Giants had more fire in their belly for some reason. How can you not like that character Brian Wilson? He is gold in interviews. He was having a ho-hum postgame interview on the field with the FOX reporter when he was asked how he felt. Wilson said, "I feel like raging." How awesome is that? The reporter also suggested that maybe the Giants were helped out by being in playoff mode earlier than anyone else. Wilson said that could have factored in to how dialed-in they were. This is something I brought up before the series, so got to give myself some props. I have to pat myself on the back here, because I had a dreadful weekend in football picks. :)
Congrats to the Giants, I was hoping for a more competitive series, though.

Comments