College picks

I went 9-4 in picks last week and then I also correctly picked the Packers to beat the Saints so I'm 10-4 so far this week. Here's the slate of college games I'm picking this week.

Friday
No. 21 Missouri at Arizona State, 10:30 p.m. ESPN
I don't know a ton about these teams but some analysts are picking Arizona State as a dark horse to win the Pac-12. The Sun Devils blasted UC-Davis 48-14 last week and is No. 23 in the USA Today poll and No. 26 in the AP poll. Mizzou, meanwhile, struggled to beat Miami, Ohio 17-6. I'll take Arizona State at home.
Arizona State 30, Missouri 23

Saturday
No. 16 Mississippi State at Auburn, 12:21 p.m. SEC Network, ESPN3.com
Auburn was nearly upset last week at home by Utah State but scored 14 points in the last three minutes to win 42-38. Now, the Tigers have to turn around and play a top 25 SEC team, Mississippi State, which annihiliated Memphis last week. I don't think Auburn can get it turned around quick enough to beat the Bulldogs, though the homefield advantage should help them keep it close.
Mississippi State 38, Auburn 28

No. 3 Alabama at No. 23 Penn State, 3:30 p.m. ABC
Penn State looks to be headed toward another solid year but I don't see the Nittany Lions pulling this one out even though peple are saying Alabama didn't "dominate" Kent State last week in a 48-7 win. 48-7? Sounds like domination to me.
Alabama 28, Penn State 20

No. 11 Virginia Tech at East Carolina, 3:30 p.m.
Appalachian State proved to be no test for Tech last week as the Hokies went through the Mountaineers like a sieve and won 66-13. East Carolina, which I picked to lose 41-22 to South Carolina last week, gave up 56 points to the Gamecocks and lost 56-37. East Carolina has had an awful defense recently including last week. Virginia Tech lost to ECU 27-22 on the road in 2008 and had trouble last year with the Pirates before dispatching them 49-27 in Blacksburg. I think the Hokies won't have too many issues Saturday though.
Virginia Tech 58, East Carolina 31

N.C. State at Wake Forest, 3:30 p.m. ESPN3.com
This is an interesting matchup. The Wolfpack really struggled beating Liberty last week. Wake Forest, meanwhile, had Syracuse beat before quarterback Tanner Price had to leave the game with an injury. Price is back this week, and I am actually going the Deacons to upset the 'Pack in this one.
Wake Forest 26, N.C. State 24

No. 12 South Carolina at Georgia, 4:30 p.m. ESPN
UGA is in a huge heap of trouble. Pressuring is mounting on coach Mark Richt to win, and win now. The Dawgs were thoroughly handled by Boise State last week in a virtual home game in the Georgia Dome. Things won't get much easier this week against the Gamecocks' high-powered offense, which boasts Marcus Lattimore at running back and Alshon Jeffrey at wide receiver.
South Carolina 31, Georgia 21

Notre Dame at Michigan, 8 p.m. ESPN
No one will mistake me for a Notre Dame fan. Generally, I can't stand the Irish. They seem to think they are special but they haven't done anything to speak of really since the Lou Holtz era. But I actually picked the Irish to beat South Florida last week and they didn't. So it looks as if they might be overrated again. On the other hand, Michigan looked pretty good in its 34-10 win over Western Michigan that was cut short because of severe weather. I am really high on the Wolverines and new coach Brady Hoke. He took San Diego State and made them a dangerous team where they had really no recent success I can remember. This is the first ever night game at Michigan and school officials think the Big House can fit about 120,000. Wow. Good luck Notre Dame as Michigan QB Denard Robinson runs by you.
Michigan 38, Notre Dame 28

Virginia at Indiana, 7 p.m., Big Ten Network
I'm tempering my optimism here but the Cavaliers should win this game. Indiana is going through a coaching transition and fell to Ball State 27-20 last week. Virginia was one of the more impressive ACC teams last week in its dismantling of FCS power William & Mary. Lots of things went right and the Hoos didn't make many mistakes. Freshmen stepped to the forefront and made lots of big plays. The defense, the worst unit on last year's team, looked much improved. Still, UVa has been a terrible road team in recent years. I'm not expecting the Cavs to run away from the Hoosiers. Don't expect a game like in 2009, when Virginia inexplicably crushed Indiana 47-7. That was in the middle of Virginia's 3-9 season. I still remember that game. I couldn't believe what was happening. I was at the game and I laid down on the bleachers half-believing  I was dreaming. If anything, that game serves as a reminder to not take anything UVa does too seriously. Hopefully, the William & Mary performance wasn't an anomaly, though.
Virginia 27, Indiana 17

Comments