Final Four picks

Been awhile since I posted anything and I know prior to the Sweet 16 I said I was going to pick the rest of the games. Well, after UVa lost to Michigan State, I had a case of being lazy because I had written a lot leading up to that game, so I didn't get around to picking the Elite Eight games. But here we go, on to the Final Four. Hopefully in the next few days, I will get around to writing a recap-looking ahead kinda thing for UVa basketball.

No. 7 Connecticut vs. No. 1 Florida in Arlington, Texas, 6:09 p.m. TBS
Shabazz Napier has been off-the-charts good for the Huskies, averaging 23.3 ppg in the tournament and carrying UConn to the brink of a national title. Along the way, he has conjured up images of Kemba Walker doing the same for the Huskies three seasons ago. Walker recently said on SportsCenter he thinks that Napier is doing an even better job than he did because Walker said he had the better team around him. I totally respect Napier and he is quite the player, but I don't think he has seen a team like Florida. The Gators defense will do its best to make other Huskies beat them. UConn has also had a somewhat easy draw in the tournament. It took down Saint Joseph's in the second round (needed OT), then what was a weak No. 2 seed in Villanova in the third round, then an Iowa State team that had a key injury in the Sweet 16. Finally, in the Elite Eight, UConn faced a Michigan State team that I think ran out of gas in the second half. I think that had to do with the battle the Spartans were in two days earlier against Virginia. Overall, I just don't think UConn has seen a team like Florida yet and the Gators have a better overall team with players such as Scottie Wilbekin (who has been on a run of his own (16.8 ppg)), Patric Young, and Casey Prather. I think Napier will have to score at least 20 points for the Huskies to have a shot.
Florida 74, Connecticut 69

No. 8 Kentucky vs. No. 2 Wisconsin in Arlington, Texas, 8:49 p.m. TBS
What a clash of styles this will be. The one-and-done approach of the Wildcats vs. the build-a-veteran-team approach of the Badgers. I do not like Kentucky coach John Calipari, but I have to give him credit. He has really turned around Kentucky's season. Just about a month ago, the Wildcats were blown out by Florida and also suffered losses to South Carolina and Arkansas. Only a couple weeks later, he had them playing Florida to within one point in the SEC tournament championship game. Since then, the Wildcats have gone on a tear in the Big Dance, taking down really strong squads recently in Wichita State, Louisville, and Michigan. I didn't think the Wildcats would be able to topple a veteran and disciplined team like Wichita State and they did and have just gotten better and better since then, led by a freshman starting five of Dakari Johnson, Julius Randle, James Young, and twins Aaron and Andrew Harrison. Wisconsin probably has the toughest defense that Kentucky hasn't seen in the tournament, though it is not as good as a normal Badgers 'D.' I have a bad feeling that Wisconsin won't be able to keep up with the athleticism of Kentucky and the Wildcats have the edge here. I hope I'm wrong and Wisconsin surprises me with an offense that has been better than average for a Bo Ryan team. Big 7-footer Frank Kaminsky has to have a great game for the Badgers. He can step out an hit a 3 and is a matchup problem for UK. I'm pulling for Ryan to win a title. That would be a good story. He has been around awhile and builds teams the right way and deserves a national championship. Plus his dad died recently and you can tell this tournament means a lot to him based on recent comments. Pulling for Wisconsin here but I think Kentucky is just finding its groove at the right time.
Kentucky 77, Wisconsin 73

Comments