NFL picks

Season: 10-10; last week: 7-4

Not a ton of time left before kickoff, so I'm trying to be selective in the games I pick.

Packers (1-2) at Bears (2-1), 1 p.m. FOX
Aaron Rodgers told us to relax after last week's game when the Packers lost to Detroit and the offense mustered just seven points. I find it hard to believe Green Bay will fall to 1-3, but I think it does need some urgency, which Rodgers seems not to have, at least publicly. The Bears defense is not good, but appears improved over last season. I'd pick Green Bay in Green Bay, but I like the Bears at home in a close one.
Bears 28, Packers 27

Panthers (2-1) at Ravens (2-1), 1 p.m. CBS
Should be a really fun game with Baltimore WR playing against his old team. He played 13 seasons in Charlotte as is clearly pumped for this game. I expect a good game from him, and a good game overall. Carolina will rebound from last week's bad loss at home to Pittsburgh, but I still like the Ravens.
Ravens 20, Panthers 17

Eagles (3-0) at 49ers (1-2), 4:25 p.m. CBS
The Niners are desperate for a win and have not looked good from about the second half of the Cowboys game on. Two weeks ago, they blew a lead vs. the Bears and then last week, lost to backup Cardinals QB Drew Stanton. The Eagles are 3-0, but have shown a bad tendency to fall behind early in games. I think it bites them this time against a San Francisco team really needing a victory.
49ers 30, Eagles 28

Patriots (2-1) at Chiefs (1-2), 8:30 p.m. Monday night ESPN
There is something to be said for a MNF night home crowd in Kansas City. It will be pumped up and I think the Chiefs are better than they showed the first two weeks of the season, especially in a Week 1 loss to the Titans. In Week 2, they were better and almost came back to tie the Broncos in regulation. Last week, they crushed the Dolphins in Miami. The Patriots have been anything but dominant and have plenty of time to figure themselves out in another weak AFC East. I can't see the Bills keeping it up and getting past 8-8. I don't trust the inconsistent Dolphins and the Jets offense just won't be good enough to get them to the playoffs. The Patriots aren't feeling the heat, therefore, and losing at Kansas City would not be that huge a deal. The Chiefs need this one more and the home crowd will help them nab an important victory.
Chiefs 27, Patriots 24

Saints (1-2) at Cowboys (2-1), 8:30 p.m. NBC
No one is letting the Cowboys forget that they gave up 40 first downs last season in a 49-17 loss at New Orleans. The defense is looking better this year, but did allow the Rams and third-string QB Austin Davis to score 31 points last week. The Saints are not a good road team, but this one is in a dome (I would open everything I have in the stadium to give it that outdoor feel if I were the Cowboys) where they are comfortable. Plus, New Orleans has a lot of fans and the city is not far from Arlington, so I expect a large contingent of Saints fans there. Niners fans were all over Jerry World in Week 1. Hopefully it won't be that bad but I doubt if the place is 80 percent full of Cowboys fans. I think this is going to be a much closer game than last season, but I like the Saints to pull out a close one. Hopefully I am wrong and Dallas can control time of possession with DeMarco Murray running the ball to keep the ball out of the hands of Drew Brees and the Saints offense. In last year's game, Dallas only held the ball for 20:28.
Saints 31, Cowboys 28

Comments