Four-star recruit commits to Virginia, plus other tidbits

Oh, hello there. Been a while.

There's no need to rehash what happened a little over a month ago -- we all know and are tired of hearing about it and the postgame analysis -- though I'm sure it'll be touched on in my next post, when I do my annual season-ending evaluations.

For now, I'll just catch up on some news. At the beginning of April, 6-foot-2, 175-pound shooting guard Casey Morsell, from St. John's College High School in Washington, D.C., verbally committed to the Cavaliers. He's a four-star recruit who is considered the best player in the Class of 2019 in D.C. Morsell's final three schools were UVa, Oklahoma State, and Penn State. He also had offers from Virginia Tech, Maryland, Georgetown, and Wake Forest, among others.

Morsell is about the same size as Kyle Guy, though a little heavier as a high schooler, and he has a little more length. He is solid defensively, and is said to be able to score as a 3-point shooter, with a
Casey Morsell should bring offensive versatility to the 'Hoos.
midrange game, and by driving to the hoop.

"Coach Bennett and the staff, they wanted me a lot," Morsell told The Washington Post. "Some schools say to you that you fit in, but there, at Virginia, they really said I would fit in. Every time I have been on campus, they never let me down. ... I just knew it was the right school for me. I wasn't on a major blue-blood trail like Duke or Kansas or anything like that. I am happy where I am wanted and can see myself playing."

Virginia is hot on the trail of other recruits, and I'll let you know when the Wahoos land any. UVa has also been linked to some possible transfers, the latest being Wake Forest graduate Keyshawn Woods, a 6-foot-3, 205-pound shooting guard who started his career at Charlotte before transferring and playing at Wake the past two seasons. Last year, he averaged 11.9 points, 2.5 rebounds, and 1.5 assists while shooting 43.9 percent from the field, 37.4 percent on 3-pointers, and 84.5 percent from the line.

Speaking of Charlotte, Virginia lost associate head coach Ron Sanchez to the 49ers in late March. Sanchez, after 12 seasons as Tony Bennett's right-hand man at both Washington State and Virginia, landed his first head coaching job. Jason Williford, a Virginia assistant who was a star for UVa hoops in the 1990s, took over the associate spot for UVa, and Orlando Vandross was elevated to Williford's old spot. Vandross has been director of recruiting the past three seasons.

Comments