UVA loses to last-place Wake Forest

I'm still at Wake Forest here with my friend Jeremy. Currently, he's in a meeting with some classmates so I've had lots of time today to think about yesterday's loss to the Demon Deacons. I'm feeling a little lazy so I'll put some of my thoughts in bullet form:

-I think there are three main reasons the Hoos lost yesterday:
    -1, free throw shooting (we were below 50 percent while Wake was 19 of 21);
    -2, we had to play two games in three days--the turnaround from the Maryland game was quick. Given the normal amount of rest/preparation time--2-3 days instead of 1--I think we win this game;
    -3, and this is related to No. 2--the defense was pretty horrendous. The lack of rest could've contributed to this, but it is a bit concerning for a coach who prides himself on defense. Wake Forest made a ton of shots in the first 10 minutes and last 10 minutes of the game and that's where we lost it. Virginia dominated the middle 20 minutes but that ended up not being as good as Wake's 20 minutes.
-Crazy stat: Virginia had five players in double figures. In the 10 or so years I've been closely following Virginia basketball, and especially the home games I have witnessed as a student at JPJ (where I could easily see the stats on the board), five Cavaliers in double figures almost always meant a win. Not yesterday though. The problem goes back to defense--Wake had six players in double figures.
-Assane Sene has really developed this year. He has been, by far, the most improved player. He had 15 points and 13 rebounds last night, his first career double-double, I believe. Jontel Evans and Mustapha Farrakhan have stepped up their games as well but no one has developed like Sene. Once an offensive liability, I'm now not as nervous when he gets the ball. And he was really a force on the offensive glass against Wake. It's too bad such a top performance gets lost in the loss.
-Never would've thought I'd see a game where Virginia would shoot at or above 50 percent (50 percent exactly yesterday) and lose. And Wake actually hit under 50 percent of its shots, at 48 percent. But the Deacs made 9 3-pointers and 12 more free throws than the Cavs. Virginia was 7 of 14 from the charity stripe.
-Speaking of free throws, the Hoos have managed a paltry 13 of 27 from the charity stripe in the Maryland and Wake Forest games combined. Not pretty. Not sure what's going on there. Hopefully just a bad streak that will correct itself quickly. Unless I'm mistaken, I think we've been an above average to excellent free-throw shooting team under Bennett normally.
-UVA has to learn to put teams away. I think we've led at the half of four of our five ACC losses. We led Wake by 10 with 12:57 left yesterday. To be a good team, one that will win more than eight ACC games, we are going to have learn to hammer the nail in the coffin. I think we win yesterday if we stretch that lead just 3-4 more points and get it down to around the nine-minute mark before Wake starts to make any sort of comeback. While I remain patient with such a young team that has had its share of injuries, I'd be lying if I said losing these leads doesn't bother me.
-The Cavaliers are not world beaters, that's obvious. I didn't really think we'd go in and stomp all over Wake. No way are they as bad, however, as they were in their first five ACC losses, huge blowouts to N.C. State, Maryland, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, and Duke. Wake stuck around for some of the Duke game, however, which was the Deacs' last game before playing the Cavs, so perhaps there were signs that progress was being made. But I say no way does Wake go 1-15 in the ACC. I think they will end up with 3-5 ACC wins.
-While this loss burns me somewhat, I'm still encouraged by this bunch. Our core is young and we have two solid-looking freshmen in KT Harrell and Joe Harris, Bennett's recruits. Hopefully, Bennett's next class or two will have one-two players each who can average double figure points for us. And on defense, I'm thinking that could take a little longer for Bennett's schemes to sink in, perhaps four full recruiting classes. I'm hoping it will, though.
-The balanced scoring was really encouraging to see yesterday. Players are getting individually better. Unfortunately, that hasn't always translated to wins this season. I know some fans may be getting tired of the matra, "wait til next year," but that's all we can do at this point. Until then, we just need to stick by this team and keep cheering. WAHOOWA

Comments

  1. i basically agree. since when was free throw shooting a liability for our team? mustapha even missed a fair share of his.

    i think assane is becoming more confident though. even though he didn't have much competition down low, it's still good to see him get after it (and not lose control of the ball every time it hits his hands).

    such a strange loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats true. wake was pretty weak in the post. still good to see another weapon developing, hopefully. we can use him this year and may need him next year.

    it was a strange loss. ive noticed ppl who werent at the game or watching it, like a lot of my coworkers were like, such a horrible loss (and they arent uva fans so may be trying to get under my sin too). but it didnt feel like it to me. even though wakes been really bad, the game didnt have the feel of an ugly game to me, you know?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment