Virginia falls in hard-fought contest, Sunday's NFL predictions

VIRGINIA
Needless to say, I didn't think Virginia would play well enough to lead Duke at half and into some of the second half. Kudos to the young guys coming out unafraid. Not sure what happened exactly in the second half that turned the tide--I will watch the recording either Sunday or Monday--but I have a feeling it was more Duke being Duke than Virginia playing worse. Probably a little bit of both but Duke scored 25 points in the first half then more than doubled that total in the second half with 51. It would be good for the Cavaliers to win one of these games where they build leads, but they are still playing at a higher level than I thought they would without Mike Scott. The rookies are gaining valuable experience which should hopefully really help in the long run.
--------------------------------
NFL
Steelers-Ravens lived up to the hype. Falcons-Packers not so much. I'm just entering the second quarter of the Pittsburgh-Baltimore recording and already, three or four mini fights have broken out. What an intense game. Hopefully tomorrow's games--which I'll get to see live on TV--will be as good as Steelers-Ravens.

I picked both games correctly yesterday and after going 1-3 in picking last weekend's playoff games, I'm 3-0 since (Saturday's games and the national championship between Auburn and Oregon). Overall, I'm 136-95 in picking football games this season. I went 16-14 in picking bowl games--I failed to record a pick in time for five bowls.

1:00
Seahawks at Bears
I'm almost getting a Packers vibe here from the Seahawks. I just had a feeling about the Pack on Saturday. Seattle might be catching fire at the right time, much like the Cardinals of two years ago who won the NFC West with a 9-7 record, then nearly defeated the Steelers in the Super Bowl. Green Bay won in Atlanta though after barely losing in Atlanta earlier in the season. Chicago has already lost at home to Seattle this season and I can't see it happening again. The Bears defense should also perform a lot better than the Saints D did against Seattle last weekend. Brian Urlacher won't let the Bears D embarrass themselves on their home turf. Chicago gets it done, 30-20.

4:30
Jets at Patriots
The war of words is over. Time for the Pats and Jets to settle it on the field. It's hard to pick against the Pats at this point, who have won eight straight games since getting beaten by Cleveland. Rex Ryan's defense is going to have to play better than in the teams' last meeting when New England won, 45-3. I don't think it'll be that bad again, but I still like the Patriots, 34-24.

Comments