College football picks (1 of 2)

I rebounded last week with a 7-2 record and now sit 63-31 on the year. This week, we get a bunch of rivalry games, which I've said is one of my favorite weekends of the year for college football. I just wish UVa would win every now and again vs. Virginia Tech. But this year doesn't look promising. Anyway, on to the games, some of which have significant implications. I'm going to publish the below game since it is today, and then do Saturday games later.

Today
Apple Cup
No. 5 Washington at No. 23 Washington State, 3:30 p.m. Fox
At stake: The Pac-12 North title. And for the Huskies, possibly much more. They sit fifth in the College Football Playoff rankings, right behind the top four that make the playoff. But should they beat the rival Cougars, they'll position themselves to get into the tournament. With the win, they'd face either Colorado or USC in the Pac-12 title game. Washington lost to USC two weeks ago. The winner of the Pac-12 South will be decided Saturday in one game, and I'll mention that game later. Coach Mike Leach has had a terrific year at WSU, but Chris Petersen at Washington has done an even better job, and I like the Huskies to at least give themselves a chance to reach the playoff by beating the Cougars.
Washington 31, Washington State 27

Comments