Unforgettable games: Two 'best of' lists

With time on my hands and less sports to watch and write about because of the pandemic, I recently began looking into the past for blog post ideas. Going into my fourth year as a student at UVa, I penned a column for The Cavalier Daily in which I listed the top 10 UVa football games I had attended. As basketball season approached, I wrote one for hoops, too. I located both of these old columns in my UVa email account and reviewed them. I realized they were in need of updates, and an idea was born. The idea expanded to include the top sporting events I have attended, period. I asked my friend and fellow blogger and sports aficionado JP Stroman if he'd like to write companion blog posts, and he agreed (check out his list here). We attended UVa and our top 10 lists would be filled with Virginia games, so we set some parameters for this particular post. What follows is a list of the top 10 non-UVa events I have attended, and then a top five list for only Virginia games. In the coming weeks, because I still want to update those old lists, I'll re-publish the columns from 2009 just for fun, and then do updated top 10s for UVa football and basketball. But first, here are these lists:

10. MLB - June 7, 1998 - Braves 9, Orioles 0: I think most boys who grow up playing and/or watching baseball don't forget their first Major League Baseball game. I am no different, though the details are fuzzy going back 22 years. My first MLB game (which was also my first pro sports game) was at Camden Yards, with my favorite team, the Braves, shutting out the Orioles. I remember getting there on a local Ruritan club bus trip I took with my dad and maybe some other family members. I am pretty sure our seats were in center or left-center field. Atlanta had a stacked team with Andres Galaragga, Javy Lopez, Andruw Jones, Tom Glavine (who won the Cy Young that year), plus Chipper Jones and Greg Maddux, probably my two favorite players growing up, Maddux especially because I was a pitcher in youth baseball. Maddux pitched that day and tossed a complete game, giving up just four hits. Offensively, Galaragga hit two homers, and Andruw Jones recorded a home run and a pair of doubles. Baltimore star Cal Ripken Jr. went 1 for 3.

The Oriole Bird gives 10-year-old me a hard time
over my Braves hat at the 1998 game at Camden Yards.
(Perryman family archives)

9. MLB - July 27, 2006 - Rockies 9, Padres 8 (10): Another baseball game with dad, this one at Coors Field in Denver. We moved from our outfield seats to behind home plate about midway through the game, and it was a great move because of the fantastic finish. This game does not involve a favorite team, but was legitimately one of the best on this list from a pure excitement perspective. Colorado was down 8-3 after five innings but mounted a comeback, culminating in a two-run ninth to tie the game and then a game-winning single in the 10th by Jamey Carroll, who knocked in Choo Freeman from second base. The play at the plate was close, with Freeman barely sliding under the tag of San Diego catcher Rob Bowen, which was awesome to see from our vantage point.

Note: Funny enough, JP was with his dad at an MLB game in Houston on July 27, 2006.

8. NFL - Dec. 27, 1998 - Cowboys 23, Redskins 7: I have seen my favorite NFL team, the Cowboys, play three times in three stadiums, and luckily, they've won each game. This was my first NFL game and was at historic Texas Stadium, and I was with my dad, a Redskins fan, and my mom, a Cowboys fan. Like my later trip to a Cowboys home game, this one included getting some autographs, and I also got a photo with owner Jerry Jones. Dallas' dynasty was over by 1998, with the Cowboys having fallen to 6-10 in 1997, which led to the ouster of coach Barry Switzer. But new coach Chan Gailey resuscitated the Cowboys and in this contest, they were going for an 8-0 sweep of the NFC East, when there were six NFL divisions of five teams each. The game itself wasn’t too thrilling. The Redskins led 7-3 after the first quarter, but the Cowboys were in control and up 20-7 by halftime. Dallas let its backups get some time so its starters could rest before the playoffs. Emmitt Smith got just 10 carries but had 67 yards and two touchdowns, Troy Aikman threw only 15 passes, and Michael Irvin caught two passes. Also notable, former UVa receiver Patrick Jeffers had two receptions for Dallas. The next week, Dallas lost to an NFC East team -- Arizona -- in the playoffs.

7. College football - Sept. 20, 2008 - James Madison 35, Appalachian State 32: Like No. 9, this game did not involve a favorite team, but it is arguably the most thrilling event on this list. The Dukes won the FCS title in 2004, and App. State did in 2005-07, so this game boasted the past four national champions. Also, in 2007, the Mountaineers famously knocked off No. 5 Michigan at The Big House, plus they beat JMU in a 28-27 first-round playoff game that year (and App. State won a 2006 regular-season meeting), so this matchup was developing a little rivalry flavor. The atmosphere was raucous for this night game in Harrisonburg, but App. State took control early and led 21-0 at halftime before JMU roared back to find itself down just 24-21 entering the fourth quarter. The Dukes scored the next two touchdowns and held on. Scotty McGee ignited the comeback with a kickoff return TD to start the third quarter, reminiscent of the 2002 Virginia-North Carolina game when Marquis Weeks sparked the Wahoos' rally when they, too, were down 21-0 at the break.

6. NFL - Oct. 21, 2012 - Cowboys 19, Panthers 14: The second Cowboys game on this list (but most recent chronologically) was your run-of-the-mill regular-season game in Charlotte, but it was a tight affair throughout. Carolina scored late in the first half to go into the break up 7-3. Dallas scored twice in the third quarter to get ahead 13-7 on a beautiful 26-yard connection from Tony Romo to Miles Austin and a 49-yard Dan Bailey field goal. Carolina took the lead once more with about 11 minutes left in the game, but later, Dallas marched 44 yards, and Bailey made a 28-yard field goal to take the lead for good, 16-14, with 3:25 left. The Panthers' final play featured several laterals near midfield, but they never really threatened to reach the end zone. Romo went 24 of 34 for 227 yards. Former UVa wideout Kevin Ogletree had four catches for 27 yards for Dallas. Morris Claiborne notched a big first-half interception off Cam Newton in the end zone. Someone who stuck out to me after the game was Panthers star wideout Steve Smith. Known for his ultra-competitive demeanor on the field, I saw him take the time -- after a tough loss -- to sign several autographs for kids. After the 1 o'clock game, me, my mom, uncle, cousin, and cousin's husband (all of us Dallas fans) went to Buffalo Wild Wings to enjoy the rest of the day's NFL action, savoring the victory.

My cousin (from left), uncle, mom, and me
at the Cowboys-Panthers game in 2012.

5. High school football - Dec. 4, 1999 - Madison Co. 29, Floyd Co. 12: Three of my high school's games are on this list. I went to Madison County High School, but I wasn't quite there in 1999. I was but a sixth-grader when the Mountaineers took on the Buffaloes at Liberty University in the Group A, Division 2 state championship, looking for their third title (1973, 1976). It was tough to find information on this game, but I did find this video chronicling the 1999 season, in which I found my dad in the background a couple of times as coach Eddie Dean was being interviewed on the field after games (did not see myself!). In 1998, Madison lost in the state championship, and it started out 1999 just 1-3, but finished the season on a flurry to capture the crown. According to a reporter in the video, star running back Raymond Kirkley amassed 134 yards and three touchdowns, and wideout Juan Brown collected four catches for 74 yards and a TD. I believe Madison was in control throughout the game. That was not the case the week before the state championship ...

4. High school football - Nov. 26, 1999 - Madison Co. 34, New Kent Co. 33: In the state semifinal, the Mountaineers traveled down Interstate 64 to take on the mighty Trojans, who entered this game 12-0 with four shutouts on the year and an average margin of victory of 44.5-9.5. Madison defeated New Kent in the state semifinal in 1998, so the Trojans were out for revenge. This was a wild back-and-forth game. New Kent led 13-7, then it was 14-13 Madison, 21-13 Madison, 21-19 Madison, 28-19 Madison, and then 28-26 Madison. New Kent recovered a fumble and scored a TD to go back up 33-28. With three minutes left, Kirkley ripped off a long touchdown run to put the Mountaineers in front, 34-33. The Trojans drove 76 yards to the Madison 2-yard line, but their game-winning, 19-yard field goal slipped wide right, and Madison players, coaches and fans rushed the field in celebration. A memory that sticks out in this game is how loud we were, especially in the final moments. I think New Kent may have had to repair some parts of the bleachers because of all of the stomping we were doing. It is tough to recall game details, though the video did help, but I think it is safe to say this game can also lay claim to being the best event on this list from a pure excitement perspective.

There's my dad behind Madison coach Eddie Dean! (geerdog/YouTube)

3. High school basketball – March 12, 2010 – Madison Co. 41, Altavista 38: This most recent
Mountaineers game – the Group A, Division 1 championship – combined the high stakes of a state final like No. 5 on this list with the tightness of No. 4. A lot was riding on this game that took place at VCU. Coach Ben Breeden, a longtime assistant and a Madison alumnus who lost in the 1996 state final, was in his first season leading a program that was coming off of a year in which it lost only one game. The 2008-09 Madison squad went 28-0 before losing in the state semifinals to Dan River. The Mountaineers followed up that remarkable run that ended in heartbreak by going 25-0 to reach the state title game. This matchup was intense, but not pretty, as these teams knew each other well from the region final (a Madison blowout) and had to scratch and claw for everything on offense. It was just 27-27 going into the fourth quarter. With 2:41 left, Trey Hensley hit a corner 3-pointer for his only points to break a 34-all tie, and Madison held on during some final nail-biting minutes in which the Mountaineers missed three front-end one-and-one opportunities. Casey Campbell, Logan Terrell and David Falk each had 10 points as Madison won its first state hoops crown since 1977.

2. MLB – June 12, 2017 – Braves 11, Nationals 10: I've been to a number of Nationals games in D.C., several including the Braves, but this one was the most memorable. It was a Monday night game, and my dad and I had good seats, just a few rows up on the first base side in shallow right field. But the game took so long, that for the final half-inning, we moved and stood at the back of the left-field seats, just so we could rush to the Metro if needed. It was closing at 11:30, and the game started at 7. This matchup featured lots of offense and terrible pitching. Stephen Strasburg started for the Nationals, and the Braves got to him early with three runs each in the first and third innings, and he lasted only five. But Braves starter Mike Foltynewicz struggled just as much, going 3 1/3 innings. It was 9-6 Washington after four innings, and the game was on a four-hour pace. It picked up as neither team scored in the fifth through seventh innings, and I figured the excitement was over. But these bullpens were bad in 2017. Atlanta scored two runs in the eighth to set up a wild ninth. Matt Albers walked Nick Markakis and Matt Adams, bringing Tyler Flowers to the plate, and he sent a 2-0 pitch into the Washington bullpen for an 11-9 lead. It was the Nationals’ 11th blown save and second in a four-game losing streak. Not to be outdone in trying to be hilariously bad, Jim Johnson allowed one run in the ninth when Tre Turner singled with two outs, bringing home Michael A. Taylor, who doubled to lead off the inning. So with the score 11-10 and a man on, who stepped to the plate? None other than Bryce Harper, who had homered in the fourth. But with Nats fans going crazy, Harper flied out to center field, and we rushed to the Metro with happy Braves and sad Nats supporters.

My dad and I at the Braves-Nationals game in 2017.


The vantage point my dad and I had
for the 2017 Braves-Nationals game.

1. NFL - Jan. 3, 2010 - Cowboys 24, Eagles 0: I don't remember when me, my mom, cousin, and cousin's husband decided to attend this game, but it ended up being a big one. This was the first year the Cowboys were playing in their giant new stadium, and in the regular-season finale, they faced rival Philadelphia in a defacto NFC East championship game. It wasn't win or go home, though. The loser ended up in a wild card spot. Dallas dominated from pretty much start to finish, leading 17-0 at the half. Romo went 24 for 34 in this game (just like the Carolina game, weird) for 311 yards and two TDs. Marion Barber and Felix Jones each rushed for 91 yards. The defense sacked Donovan McNabb four times. Dallas had two UVa players on this team, Ogletree (also in the Carolina game) and tight end John Phillips. Ogletree had a catch for 15 yards, and Phillips had two for 14 yards. I got a picture with Ogletree at the team hotel as we shared a Wahoo moment. The atmosphere for this game was awesome, and we also got to spend New Year's Eve in Dallas. The day after the game, we toured the stadium and bought NFC East champ shirts. I still have mine. This wasn't the most thrilling game on the list, but it was an immensely satisfying trip and the stakes were fairly high.

My mom and I at the Eagles-Cowboys game in 2010.

Now for the UVa list. Cutting down the numerous Virginia games I've attended to only five was a very difficult undertaking, as I felt like I could fit several into a top five. I've been to many great games, and though there are some big ones I didn't go to, I'm proud of this list.

5. Football – Sept. 14, 2019 - No. 25 Virginia 31, Florida State 24: I was at the 2005 win over Florida State as well (not 1995, unfortunately), but I went with this one because it was more recent and more thrilling. And even though FSU was ranked No. 4 during that 2005 victory, those Seminoles finished 8-5, so they weren’t that great. In 2005, UVa built a 23-10 margin and held on, 26-21. But the 2019 meeting was a back-and-forth affair, with FSU leading 14-10 at the half and 17-10 going into the fourth quarter, which ended up being nuts. The Cavaliers scored with 6:02 left, but Brian Delaney missed the tying extra point after making a 49-yarder earlier in the game. Wahoos fans stared in stunned silence. But Virginia got a stop and quickly scored, capped by Bryce Perkins' dazzling 2-point conversion. The 'Hoos had to withstand a final Seminoles drive littered with flags, helping them march down the field. On a final frantic play, tailback Cam Akers took a direct snap from the 4-yard line -- you have to appreciate the parallel with the 1995 game here, when FSU RB Warrick Dunn took a direct snap on the final play -- got past Noah Taylor and De'Vante Cross before Bryce Hall tripped him enough that his wrist hit the ground. Virginia was the ranked team, but fans rushed the field because of the adrenaline-filled ending. And let's face it, FSU football is still a brand. Beating the Seminoles is always a big deal. This game also makes my top five because it was the first time I had seen Scott Stadium that hyped and full in a while. I attended with JP, and we both screamed our guts out in a packed lower end zone section.

JP and I at the Florida State-UVa game last season.

4. Basketball - Feb. 1, 2007 - Virginia 68, No. 8 Duke 66 (OT): Of the recent wins over Duke, I was at the 2013 game, too, but I was in like Row AA of John Paul Jones Arena. For this one, I was a student and stood behind Duke's bench. Duke was ranked No. 3 for the 2013 victory, but those Wahoos faltered down the stretch and didn't make the NCAA tournament. The 2007 win catapulted that team into contention for the ACC regular-season title, and it ended up tying with North Carolina. It fell just short of getting to the Sweet 16, but this game still stands out for me over a decade later as a special moment as a student. For me, "The Shot" will always be Sean Singletary floating nearly parallel with the floor getting the game-winning shot over the outstretched arm of DeMarcus Nelson, as opposed to the Kihei-Mamadi connection in the Purdue game (for that, I prefer "The Play" or "Diakihei"). Singletary's shot was special, but J.R. Reynolds paced the 'Hoos with 25 points. I rushed the floor and had put so much of myself into the game, I was sick the next day.

Sean Singletary getting his winning shot up against Duke.

3. Football - Nov. 29, 2003 - Virginia 35, Virginia Tech 21: Unfortunately, I didn’t make it to the 2019 win over the Hokies, which snapped their 15-game winning streak in the rivalry. But before that ACC Coastal title-clinching victory, the most recent win for the 'Hoos in the series came in 2003, when I was in 10th grade. I remember I had my face painted with an orange, navy, and white “V." I started going to UVa football games in 1999, so hatred for the Hokies was baked in by this point. Virginia had lost four consecutive games to its in-state foe, which felt like a long time then since we didn't know the desert that awaited the program. The Wahoos were down 14-7 at the half but scored 21 consecutive points to take the lead. Matt Schaub's beautiful 49-yard TD pass to Alvin Pearman on a wheel route (and third-and-15 no less) tied him with Shawn Moore for the most passing scores in school history, a record he captured after tossing one touchdown in Virginia's bowl win over Pittsburgh a month later. It's a mark he still holds today. That TD also gave the Cavaliers the lead for good. Tech scored to make it 28-21, but in the final minutes, the 'Hoos duped the Hokies with a fake field goal on a pass from Schaub to Heath Miller, and Wali Lundy followed with his final score on a three-touchdown day. Miller torched Tech for 13 catches and 145 yards, and Schaub went 32 of 46 for 358 yards and two scores in one of the finest performances of his career. I still remember being gleeful as Hokies fans started making their way out of Scott Stadium.

2. Basketball - Nov. 12, 2006 - Virginia 93, No. 10 Arizona 90: This was my first game as a student and the first men's game at John Paul Jones Arena, and it lived up to the billing. The Cavaliers, who were hoping for big things in Dave Leitao's second season with a core of Singletary, Reynolds, and Jason Cain, welcomed the Wildcats and put on a show for the building's christening, with Cav Man descending from the rafters to present the game ball to John Paul Jones, and Michael Buffer ("Let's get ready to rumble!") announcing Virginia's starting lineup. The Wahoos started slow and got down by as many as 19 points before rallying. Their comeback included a Singletary dunk (perhaps the only one of his career, as I recall him missing one the next season against UNC), and Mamadi Diane banked in a 3 to give Virginia the lead with 5:45 left. Singletary and Diane had 25 points each, and Cain tallied 13 points and 12 boards. I own a framed picture showing Singletary getting ready to go up for his dunk in the midst of the comeback. If you look close enough, you can see me in the student section. A truly great memory.

1. Basketball - March 1, 2014 - No. 12 Virginia 75, No. 4 Syracuse 56: There were several milestones in this season that marked the Wahoos' rise to national prominence, and this was one of them. Virginia would win its first outright ACC regular-season title since 1981 with a victory, and the Orange and legendary coach Jim Boeheim were in town for the teams' only meeting that year, Cuse's first in the conference. The Orange started that season 25-0, but had lost two of their past three coming into the game. I think the Cavaliers and their fans smelled blood in the water. The atmosphere was electric from the tip-off. I was in one of the last rows of the arena, but I could feel the energy pulsing through the building. My friend George Banko, a Syracuse fan, was with me and commented that it seemed like the roof was going to blow off the place. The big moments in the game were aplenty: London Perrantes throwing a half-court alley-oop to Akil Mitchell, an early second-half 3-point duel between Trevor Cooney for 'Cuse and Perrantes, Malcolm Brogdon, and Justin Anderson for Virginia, Perrantes hitting a 3 from what is now known as Ty-land, a signature Joe Harris 3 (on the YouTube highlights, on cue, ESPN's Dan Shulman says says Harris told Tony Bennett he didn't care about shots, he didn't care about points, he only cared about turning UVa into a winner), and of course, Thomas Rogers' 3 to cap the day off. Over the final nine minutes, UVa turned a close game into a laugher with a 29-14 run. Unless I go to a Final Four or national championship game Virginia wins in the future, this one is going to be hard to top. Even an ACC tournament title might not compare because of the atmosphere that day and what the game meant for Virginia in that moment.

My vantage point as fans rushed the floor at JPJ
after Virginia topped Syracuse for the ACC
regular-season title in 2014.

Comments